Final Fantasy VII Enemy Skills
This is an Enemy Skill Guide to the original Final Fantasy VII. You can find an Enemy Skill Guide to the Final Fantasy VII Remake here.
Enemy Skill Guide
Enemy Skill materia can be found in the Shinra Building, Junon Beginner's Hall, Forgotten Capital, and in the Chocobo Sage's house (talk to the green chocobo).
To learn an Enemy Skill, equip an Enemy Skill materia to one of your party members. An enemy must use the skill on your party member in order for you to learn it. Then that party member, or anyone equipped with that particular materia, can use it.
N.B. Some Enemy Skills, particularly defensive ones like Big Guard, require manipulating the enemy in order to have them use the skill on your party member(s). Use the "Manipulate" command; the "Hypnocrown" accessory can also be useful. It should also be noted that you can't use an Enemy Skill on an ally in order to have them learn it.
N.B. Be careful with Trine, as this is the one Enemy Skill that is missable. You may want to save the Pagoda battle against Godo in Wutai until you are fully prepared, i.e. until you have all 4 Enemy Skill materia including the one from the Chocobo Sage's green chocobo. Be aware that you cannot learn Trine in the Gold Saucer Battle Arena, even though you can encounter a Stilva there.
Enemy Skill List
- Matra Magic
- Non-elemental damage to all opponents
- MP: 8
- Learn from: Custom Sweeper (Midgar Area, World Map), Death Machine (Junon), Bullmotor (Corel Prison)
- L4 Suicide
- Causes [Critical/Small] with levels in multiples of 4
- MP: 10
- Learn from: Mu (Chocobo Farm Area, World Map), Trickplay (Bone Village Area, World Map)
- Non-elemental damage on any one opponent, HP damage equivalent to the number of times party has escaped from battle.
- MP: 3
- Learn from: Chocobo (Find a chocobo with a level which is a multiple of 4, such as a Level 16 chocobo near the Chocobo Farm Area - these will always appear alongside 2 Levrikons. Feed it some Mimett or Sylkis Greens, then use L4 Suicide)
- Fire damage on all opponents
- MP: 35
- Learn from: Midgar Zolom (swamp near Chocobo Farm, World Map)
- Flame Thrower
- Causes Fire damage to any single opponent
- MP: 10
- Learn from: Ark Dragon (Mythril Mine), Dragon (Mt. Nibel)
- White Wind
- Restores HP and status to every ally
- MP: 34
- Learn from: Zemzelett (Junon Area, World Map), Wind Wing (Whirlwind Maze)
- Big Guard
- Adds [Barrier/MBarrier/Haste] to every ally
- MP: 56
- Learn from: Beachplug (Costa Del Sol Area, Gold Saucer Area, World Map), Wolfmeister (North Corel train during Huge Materia sequence)
- Water damage on all opponents
- MP: 34
- Learn from: Harpy (Gold Saucer Area, World Map), Jenova-LIFE (Forgotten Capital), Serpent (Sunken Gelnika)
- Lessens one opponent's HP by 1/2
- MP: 16
- Learn from: Death Claw (Corel Prison), Dark Dragon (N. Cave)
- Frog Song
- Causes [Sleepel/Frog] on one opponent
- MP: 5
- Learn from: Touch Me (Gongaga Area, World Map), Toxic Frog (Temple of the Ancients), Christopher (N. Cave)
- Death Sentence
- Pronounces death sentence on any one opponent
- MP: 10
- Learn from: Gi Spector (Cave of the Gi), Sneaky Step (Cave of the Gi), Boundfat (Corral Valley)
- Does damage equal to user's MaxHP/HP
- MP: 3
- Learn from: Jersey (Shinra Mansion, Nibelheim), Behemoth (Sector 8 Underground, Midgar)
- Lightning damage on all opponents
- MP: 20
- Learn from: Materia Keeper (Mt. Nibel), Godo (Wutai), Stilva (Gaea's Cliff)
- N.B. This is the only missable one - see above.
- Magic Hammer
- Drains up to 100 MP out of one opponent
- MP: 3
- Learn from: Razor Weed (Wutai Area, World Map)
- Death Force
- Makes any one ally immune to death
- MP: 3
- Learn from: Adamantaimai (Wutai Area, World Map)
- Bad Breath
- [Poison/Confu/Sleepel/Silence/Small/Frog] on all
- MP: 58
- Learn from: Malboro (Gaea's Cliff, N. Cave)
- Magic Breath
- [Fire/Ice/Lightning] damage on all opponents
- MP: 75
- Learn from: Stilva (Gaea's Cliff), Parasite (N. Cave)
- Goblin Punch
- Non-elemental damage on any one opponent
- MP: 0
- Learn from: Goblin (Goblin Island, World Map)
- Shadow Flare
- Big non-elemental damage on any one opponent
- MP: 100
- Learn from: Ultimate Weapon (Cosmo Area, World Map), Ruby Weapon (Gold Saucer Area, World Map), Dragon Zombie (N. Cave), Safer-Sephiroth (N. Cave)
- Dragon Force
- Raises the Defense and Magic Def. level of one ally
- MP: 19
- Learn from: Dark Dragon (N. Cave)
- Angel Whisper
- Revives, restores HP and status to any one ally
- MP: 50
- Learn from: Pollensalta (N. Cave)
- L5 Death
- Causes [Death] on levels in multiples of 5
- MP: 22
- Learn from: Parasite (N. Cave)
- Randomly pronounces death on any one opponent or ally
- MP: 6
- Learn from: Death Dealer (N. Cave)
- Pandora's Box
- Big damage on all opponents, ignores defense
- MP: 110
- Learn from: Dragon Zombie (N. Cave)
Most Useful Enemy Skills
- Matra Magic - You can learn this right after leaving Midgar, it costs little MP for its high potency, and also it's non-elemental - super.
- Beta - This is extremely powerful considering how early you can learn it. Equip an Enemy Skill materia and fight the Midgar Zolom - the Zolom will tend to use Beta and then fling one of your party members out of the battle, allowing that party member to survive. This allows you to learn Beta without having to actually defeat the Zolom.
- Big Guard - Again, you can learn this in Disc 1, as soon as Cait Sith joins your party with the Manipulate materia; it casts Barrier, MBarrier and Haste on all party members for just 56 MP. This is better than the spell "Wall", which you can learn from the Barrier materia - Wall doesn't include Haste and costs 58 MP.
- Aqualung - This is also very powerful considering how early you can learn it.
- White Wind - This can also be learnt on Disc 1 - again, after you pick up Cait Sith and the Manipulate materia, you can take the boat back to Junon and encounter the Zemzelett in the Junon Area. White Wind can be hugely useful for healing your party members for low MP cost.
- Shadow Flare - This is one of the most powerful spells in the game.
- Angel Whisper - This works the same as either Life 2 or Full Cure, but for half the MP. It will also fix any status ailments - icing on the cake.
- Pandora's Box - Similar to the spell Ultima, but costs far less MP.
Limit Breaks Guide
Enemy Skill Guide
Wall Market Cross-Dressing Guide
Gold Saucer Guide
My FF7 YouTube Channel. Please SUBSCRIBE!
Final Fantasy VII Remake Guide
List of Every FF7 Title
Other FF7 Websites